Peer Support Nova Scotia is a program conducted by Mental Health Innovations (Nova Scotia) on behalf of the Nova Scotia Health Authority.
A Commitment Made
The 2012 Mental Health and Addictions Strategy: Together We Can, reinforced the powerful impact peer support can have on a person’s recovery. The Nova Scotia Health Authority, and the IWK have moved forward with the expansion of mental health peer support at inpatient sites across the province.
Delivering peer support in Nova Scotia is based on a transition-focused model which is supported by evidence-based research, and validated in other Canadian healthcare settings. It draws a straight line from clinical inpatient sites, back into the community through the discharge process. The direct costs for provision of Peer Support can be offset by decreased (re)admission rates, and shortened hospital stays.
Peer Supporter-Peer Support Coordinators (PS-PSC)
Peer Support Nova Scotia employs peer supporters across the province with a dual focus.
- As a Peer Supporter, they directly support peers (clients) receiving NSHA mental healthcare services.
- As a Peer Support Coordinator, they look toward the community for a working relationship with organizations that are partnered to assist peers in transition after discharge.
DOWNLOAD: Peer Supporter One Pager (click here)
For the Community
Critical to the peer support model’s success is the ability to connect clients to peer supporters in the community. Building on the great work of caring organizations, Peer Support Nova Scotia is committed to building peer support capacity within the community through partnership opportunities.
As part of this commitment, Peer Support training is being conducted for community organizations and individuals.
- 20-24 November 2017 – Eastern & Northern Zone
- 22-26 January 2018 – Eastern &Northern Zone (tentative)
- 29 Jan – 2 Feb 2018 – Western & Central Zone (tentative)
DOWNLOAD: Peer Support Training Memo October 2017
For further information on the program, engagement sessions or training, please contact us:
Contact: Lauren Scott (Program Manager)
Phone: (902) 324 – 2925
Email: Lauren.Scott (at) PeerSupportNS (dot) ca