DID YOU KNOW THAT:
Union Stewards often ﬁnd themselves on the front lines of SUPPORTING employees struggling with extreme levels of stress (psychological distress), and may not feel comfortable and conﬁdent in this role?
Does your Stewards:
- Understand the extent of their responsibilities towards a member struggling with psychological distress or a mental health problem?
- Feel comfortable with supporting needs, asking probing questions, and determining if and how to follow up with a member?
- Know what community and clinical resources could be helpful, and how to connect with these resources?
- Network with other stewards and internal resources to learn, collaborate, and support each other?
- Effectively manage their own stress and health needs, and when necessary reconcile moral conﬂict when they feel unable to provide adequate support.
- Find a balance between supporting others and maintaining their own mental health?