DID YOU KNOW THAT
Union Stewards often ﬁnd themselves on the front lines of SUPPORTING employees struggling with extreme levels of stress (psychological distress), and may not feel comfortable and conﬁdent in this role?
Do your Stewards:
- Understand the extent of their responsibilities towards a member struggling with psychological distress or a mental health problem?
- Feel comfortable with supporting needs, asking probing questions, and determining if and how to follow up with a member?
- Know what community and clinical resources could be helpful, and how to connect with these resources?
- Network with other stewards and internal resources to learn, collaborate, and support each other?
- Effectively manage their own stress and health needs, and when necessary reconcile moral conﬂict when they feel unable to provide adequate support.
- Find a balance between supporting others and maintaining their own mental health?
If the answer is NO to any of the questions above,
here is our service:
Within your role as a Union Steward, support employees struggling from Mental Health problems at work
Psychological distress is increasingly part of everyday life and the impact is multiplied by stigma within the organization. Employees oVen turn to their union representative for support. This training helps to adapt to this reality and grows the skills and conﬁdence of union stewards as a complement to their traditional role.
At the end of this training program the Union Steward will be able to recognize, establish and respect the limits of the support oﬀered to members as well as develop strategies to maintain their own mental health.
Topics covered during the training:
- The basis for sound workplace employee mental health support.
- Recognizing, establishing and respecting boundaries.
- Exploring self-awareness and values.
- Enhancing communication and interaction skills for conversations related to psychological distress.
Discussions on the following topics related to organizational culture will be integrated: re-humanizing the workplace, management of ethical behaviour, ﬁnd solutions without addressing the medical record and within the bounds of conﬁdentially.
All sessions are tailored to the needs of each organization. Additional modules are available to leverage this basic training program.
For more information, please contact us